10 Romantic Date Ideas for St. Patrick’s Day How you and your spouse can celebrate St. Patrick’s Day romantically. BY MARY CHATMAN
The greenest holiday on the calendar that can be celebrated regardless of your background.
“ Pick up a small pot and fill it with golden chocolate coins (found at most dollar stores) and create a trail leading to the bedroom for a little chocolate delight.”
For me, I’m happy to add a spark of romance to an unconventional romantic holiday like St. Patrick’s Day. I’ll say it again and again. Everyone should take time out to add a spark of romance and have a toast to your love as often as you possibly can. It can be exciting and fun to celebrate your love building on themes that are traditional, like St Patty’s Day. It is not just for the Irish you know! In love, you really don’t need a reason to let your spouse know that you are thinking about them and you love them, but do take advantage of the opportunity to throw a few logs into the flame to keep the home fire burning.
Here are 10 of my favorite budget-friendly things to do in celebration of St. Patty’s Day!
1. Weather permitting, plan a romantic picnic outdoors. Pack a picnic basket filled with your favorite goodies. Think green—green napkins, green plastic utensils and cups (check your local party store). Head out to your local park, look for a secluded spot under a tree and enjoy an afternoon of romance. Oh and don’t forget the blanket and a bottle of your favorite wine, or add a little green food coloring to a bottle of your favorite champagne for a toast to your love.
2. Turn your sweet tooth green. After dinner go with Irish-themed desserts, like an apple tart served warm with sweet custard. Or you can use green frosting for cupcakes or sugar cookies. Hint: For a greater romantic impact, feed each other dessert!
3. Get in line. Check your local community listings for a St. Patty’s Parade to attend together. It’s a time for fun and there may be music, Irish food, drinks, activities, crafts and games.
4. Spell out your love in color of the season. Write love notes for your beloved to discover using a pen with green ink.
5. Create your own pot of gold. Pick up a small pot and fill it with golden chocolate coins (found at most dollar stores) and create a trail leading to the bedroom for a little chocolate delight. Be sure to set the mood in the bedroom beforehand.
6. St. Kiss-A-Lot. Even if you're not Irish, enjoy a make out session filling the day with lots o'kisses! Think outside the box by trying several different kisses. Spark romance and have fun as you get creative with it.
7. Decorate yourself with lucky charms. On your way home from work, pick up sexy lingerie or underwear in green or appropriately-themed for St. Patty’s Day.
8. Hide and seek. Purchase a bag of green marbles to hide for a game of hide and seek. Redeem them later for a kiss to the body part of your choice. Grand prize: Whoever finds the most marbles has to give the other person a massage. Bet you never thought marbles could be used in such a fun, sexy, romantic way!
9. Offer some Irish comfort. Slip into something skimpy and sexy and prepare the ultimate Irish comfort food together, using kitchen staples like potatoes, sausages and bacon. Cook up a steamy Irish stew, corn beef brisket with cabbage, or a tender chicken or lean lamb to serve together with potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms, and your favorite herbs, and don’t hold back on the spices. If you’re a vegetarian you know what to do, just skip the meat altogether and enjoy!
10. Go ahead, bring on the green beer. Head for the nearest Irish pub for the evening. Check your local listings to find out if there may be a schedule of events. You never know, you may find yourself on top of a table dancing a jig.
Mary Chatman is a romantic decorating specialist and founder of Love Life Designs, LLC, a romantic decorating and design firm facilitating Atlanta, Los Angeles and New York City. For more information or to add romance to your abode, visit www.lovelifedesignsllc.com.