entertains, educates & inspires marriages
Find Marriage Answers
10 Tips to Pay Less Taxes
You may think that your mortgage or rent, student loans, or child care costs eat up the majority of your income, but your biggest expense is taxes. Here are 10 tips to save.

If you're looking to keep more of your income, find a professional to help sort your finances.

If your children are young and youíre looking for the best overall savings option, youíll have the most control and the greatest tax benefits if you save money via a 529 plan.”
"Where did all my money go?" Itís a universal question, and if youíre like most people, itís one you ask with more than a touch of frustration. You donít spend extravagantly. You pay the bills, buy groceries and provide school supplies and clothes for your kids. Sure, maybe you go out to eat on Saturdays and take a once-a-year vacationóafter all, you deserve some pleasure in lifeóbut itís hard to believe these small luxuries account for your stagnant savings or, worse, that credit card debt thatís slowly inching upward.

"So where did all the money go?" I have an answer that might surprise you. Taxes.

Most people think their biggest expense is their mortgage or rent or their kids. But believe me when I say that most of your money has goneóand continues to goóto taxes, taxes, and more taxes.

Just think about it. Thereís your federal and state income taxes. Social Security taxes. Payroll taxes. Sales taxes. Property taxes. And on and on. In fact, if you take a close look at how much you pay for various taxes, chances are this number would be more than 50 percent of your overall expenditures. And while no one can avoid taxes completelyónot legally anywayóthere are almost certainly ways to reduce your bill that you arenít taking advantage of.

If you want to change your taxes from your biggest expense to your biggest saving opportunity, take a look at a few tips:

Retro-file to take advantage of missed deductions. Using your taxes as a way to actually save money is probably a new concept for you. That said, chances are high that youíve missed out on ways to save in years past. Well, hereís some good news for you: Those savings arenít lost forever.

Say you discover you have not taken advantage of several deductions or tax credits that youíve been entitled toódonít beat yourself up. You can file an amended return to claim an additional refund. Generally, the statute of limitations is three years from the date you filed your tax return. Therefore, you can file a claim for refund for the last three years of tax returns if you uncover a recurring error. This is a great way to improve your cash flow, and itís a great example of why you should meet with your tax advisor throughout the year.

Find a trusted financial advisor. Everyone needs a trusted advisor to guide them during good times and badósomeone whose primary goal will be to help you achieve your†long-term financial†objectives. You may assume financial advisors are for "the super wealthy" (i.e., not you), or that your stockbroker or tax preparer adequately fills this role, youíre wrong in both cases.

You need a financial planner who can analyze your status and assist you in setting up and implementing a program to†achieve your ultimate goal of financial independence. Develop a close relationship with your advisor. Donít just go to see her once a year when itís time to file your taxes. The better your financial advisor knows you, the more effective sheíll be at finding the tax credits, deductions, etc., that apply to you and as a result can help you save big money on your taxes.

Get organized. Donít walk into your tax preparerís office with your W-2 and a few receipts and expect to have a wealth-building experience. Tax records, such as records of income received, work-related expense reports, medical expense information, information about home improvements, sales, and refinances, and so on, should be carefully kept on a year-round basisónot thrown in a drawer or shoebox and then hastily assembled just for your annual tax appointment. Without tax records, you can lose valuable deductions by forgetting to include them on your tax return, or you may have unsubstantiated items disallowed if you are audited.

Get credit for your kids. Put together a list of all expenses related to your kids. Youíll want to include child care, tuition payments, 529 plan contributions, donations, medical expenses, etc. Ask your tax preparer to explore every tax credit that might be available to you, such as the child care credit, child tax credit, and the earned income credit. For older children who are in college, you must consider the education tax credits, such as the Lifetime Learning Credit and the American Opportunity Tax Credit.

If your children are young and youíre looking for the best overall savings option, youíll have the most control and the greatest tax benefits if you save money via a 529 plan. Although you do not receive any federal tax deduction for the contributions you make to these plans, the distributions are generally tax free to the extent that you use them to pay for qualified higher education expenses. For example, assuming you contribute $10,000 to a 529 plan in the year your child is born and this amount accumulates to $30,000 by the time the child is ready to attend college, this entire amount can be used free of tax if used for qualified higher education expenses. Neither you nor your child will be taxed on the profit made with this money.

If your state has its own sponsored savings plan, you may get the added benefit of a state tax deduction for any contributions you make before the end of the year. Itís like getting a scholarship each year you save, even before your child goes to college. Of course, there are tons of tax benefits related to raising your kids so be sure to check with your tax advisor to make sure youíre taking advantage of all of them.

Know what gets taxed and what doesnít in regard to insurance payouts. Generally, the cost of personal homeownerís, automobile, boat, and umbrella liability insurance are not tax deductible. However, insurance reimbursements to the extent of your loss are generally not taxable. So if you receive an insurance reimbursement as a result of damage to your home or car (as long as it is not in excess of your adjusted basis), it isnít taxable.

Keep in mind that if you own a rental property, you can generally deduct most of the expenses associated with maintaining and managing the property, including the cost of property insurance, which includes premiums for fire and liability.

Retire from a big tax burden. Many Americans arenít saving enough for retirement. Thatís unfortunate for two reasons. First, the earlier you start to save for retirement the better. Second, retirement saving is a great way to reduce the amount you pay in taxes.

If your employer offers a 401(k) plan, invest as much as it will allow. Making elective salary deferrals to your companyís retirement plan allows you to defer tax on your salary and get a tax-deferred buildup of earnings within your plan until you start making withdrawals when you retire. Other options include IRAs, which are available to all wage earners at any salary level, as well as to nonworking spouses.

Contributions to traditional IRAs may be tax deductible if you meet the requirements; your withdrawals will be taxable in the year that you make those withdrawals. Therefore, a traditional IRA gives you a tax deduction in the current year and a tax deferral for any earnings, but ultimately you will pay tax when you withdraw from your account.

In contrast, contributions to a Roth IRA are not tax deductible, but qualified withdrawals are tax free. Therefore, Roth IRAs do not give you a tax deduction in the current year, but ultimately your qualified withdrawals including earnings will be paid out to you tax free. Compare the benefits of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA and choose the one that is best for your particular situation.

Get the most out of Social Security. If you are collecting Social Security benefits, up to 85 percent of these benefits could be subject to federal income tax. However, itís important to note that you can avoid paying income tax on your Social Security benefits if your provisional income is $25,000 or less if you are now single, or $32,000 or less if you are married and filing jointly.

Planning your retirement income to include tax-free withdrawals, such as from a Roth IRA account, may allow you to keep your income under these thresholds and ultimately avoid paying tax on your Social Security benefits.

Donít get taxed by your health. Take full advantage of medical insurance premiums paid by your employer on your behalf. This is considered a tax-free fringe benefit. These medical insurance premiums are 100 percent deductible by your employer and tax free to you. All payments made by the medical insurance company to cover your medical expenses are also tax-free payments made for your benefit.

If your health insurance qualifies as a high-deductible plan, you should establish an HSA and fully fund tax-deductible contributions to cover future medical expenses. Individuals can contribute and deduct $3,250 for a single policy and $6,450 for a family in 2013. If you and your spouse are 55 or older, you can make an additional tax-deductible, catch-up contribution of $1,000 each.

Donít let taxes deflate your return on investment. Inflation and taxes are perhaps the two biggest drains on your investment returns. When investing, you must always consider the tax consequences of your investment when determining your true rate of return.

For example, if you hold an investment for more than a year, you will have the added advantage of long-term capital gains treatment. Net short-term capital gains are taxed as ordinary income, which means they can be taxed at a federal rate as high as 39.6 percent (based on 2013 tax rates). In contrast, net long-term capital gains are taxed at a preferential federal rate that does not exceed 20 percent (based on 2013 tax rates). If you do not pay attention to the tax consequences of your investments, you may be paying significantly more in taxes than the law requires.

Give a gift. Take advantage of gifting strategies that can help you prevent losing some of the value of your estate to taxes. For 2013, the gift tax exclusion is $14,000 per year. What this means is that you can make a gift in this amount to anyoneóand to as many people as you likeóevery calendar year, and that money will not be subject to gift tax or included in your taxable estate. Furthermore, it will not be added back to your lifetime exemption (which in 2013 is $5.25 million). This amount can be increased to $28,000 per year if a non-donor spouse agrees to split the gift.

This can be a great way to transfer assets to children, grandchildren, and other intended heirs while you're still alive. Ultimately, this will reduce the taxable value of your estate and, at the same time, your ultimate estate tax liability.

Paying taxes doesnít simply have to mean kissing a large portion of your hard-earned money good-bye. When you understand how they work and know where to look for opportunities, you can actually minimize your tax payout, and as a result, save a lot more of your money. Those savings can then pave your way to financial independence.

John J. Vento is author of Financial Independence (Getting to Point X): An Advisorís Guide to Comprehensive Wealth Management, www.ventocpa.com). He has been the president of the New York City-based Certified Public Accounting firm John J. Vento, CPA, P.C., and Comprehensive Wealth Management, Ltd., since 1987. Mr. Vento is a Certified Public Accountant, a Certified Financial Planner, and has an MBA in Taxation. John has been ranked among the most successful advisors of a nationwide investment service firm and has held this distinction since 2008.

Over 1 million couples turn to Hitched for expert marital advice every year. Sign up now for our newsletter & get exclusive weekly content that will entertain, educate and inspire your marriage.

Pin It

Connect with us:        

Leave a Comment

Over 1 million couples turn to Hitched for expert marital advice every year. Sign up now for our newsletter & get exclusive weekly content that will entertain, educate and inspire your marriage.

How Our Children Heal UsóWhen We Let Them

4 Ways to Involve Kids to Establish Healthy Eating Habits

Tired of Walking on†Eggshells Around Your Moody Teen?

3 Ways For Couples To Discuss Money Without Getting Divorced

Disrupt Your 9 Hungers with One Simple Mindfulness Tip

Get Featured