5 Winter Shop & Saving Tips for Couples Donít let winter get you down. Instead, use these five tips to your advantage as you go shopping. BY PADMINI PARTHASARATHY
You can save a lot of money when you shop in the winter.
“ Shop at your spouse's favorite stores so you will have credit for those special occasions all year long.”
With much of the nation locked in bitter cold and snowstorms, what could be better for a winter slump than shopping? Still have gift cards to cash in? Presents sitting in the garage you still need to exchange? Luckily many stores still have discounts to take advantage of. Now is the time to take full stock of the sales and mark-downs. Here are some tips to help you strategize during those dreary days when you and your spouse are looking for something fun to do.
1. Make a plan. What do you actually need? Decide where you both like to go and make that a priority. You should have a realistic idea of what you actually need. Donít succumb to buying just for buying sake. Itís better to spend on something you need than nothing something you don't. Be smart and stick to your plan.
2. Stock up for next year. Stock up on things like generic wrapping paper, tissue, and ribbons that you can use throughout the year for birthdays and other occasions. These items are typically marked down by 50% or more during winteróand always come in handy when the time comes.
3. Cash in those gift cards ASAP! That $50 gift card will get you a lot more for your money now than it will a few months from now when there are way fewer sales. You could potentially walk away with double the amount of merchandise for the same price!
4. Now is the time to take advantage of store credit. Shop at your spouse's favorite stores so you will have credit for those special occasions all year long. You can even use this time to explore new stores you have been meaning to visit. Who knows, you might find a new favorite store together. Visiting now will allow you to set up store credit for the future for those times when you canít decide what to get or where to shop. This will reduce a lot of unwanted couple stress throughout the year.
5. Buy winter clothes. Winter still has some time left, but prices for sweaters and scarves are usually slashed in the post-holiday season. Stores are looking to start clearing out their inventory for the new spring lines. Take advantage of this by stocking up on cozy sweaters or a new winter coat.
Padmini Parthasarathy is an analyst at the personal finance website ValuePenguin.com, which researches and analyzes insurance, credit cards, and other consumer finance topics. Padmini writes about the story behind the numbers ranging from relationships to personal finance.